- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
This recipe makes enough for 2 casseroles, so you will be dividing the ingredients into 2 baking dishes,
*40 Saltine Crackers
*2 cups cooked rice
*3 lb. hamburger
*1 large onion, chopped
*1 1/2 cups tomato juice
*3/4 cup water
*3 tblsp. taco seasoning
*Salt and pepper to taste
*4 cups lettuce, shredded
*3 medium tomatoes, diced
*1/2 cup butter, cubed
*1/2 cup flour
*4 cups milk
*1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
*3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
*1 can pitted olives
*1 package tortilla chips (14 1/2 oz.)
1. Divide crackers between two ungreased 13x9-inch baking dishes. Top each with rice.
2. In a large skillet, brown the hamburger and onion; drain. Add the tomato juice, water, and seasonings and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon meat mixture over rice. Next, layer on the lettuce and tomatoes.
3. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and continue stirring until smooth. Gradually add the milk. Continue stirring, bring to a boil, and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in Velveeta cheese until melted. Pour cheese mixture over the lettuce and tomatoes.
3. Top with Cheddar cheese and olives and serve with the tortilla chips.