- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
*2 1/2 gallons water
*4 large onions, chopped
*8 quarts carrots, peeled and diced
*6 quarts peas
*8 quarts potatoes, peeled and diced
*4 quarts green beans
*1 quart celery
*1/2 cup salt (or to taste)
*1/8 cup pepper
*20 lbs. Hamburger
*5 quarts beef broth
*8 quarts tomato juice
*4 cups brown sugar
*4 tblsp. Kitchen Bouquet seasoning
*4 quarts cooked roast beef, cut into
1. In a very large pot, combine the water, vegetables, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked and tender. Drain off the water.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot or in a smaller pot in batches, brown the hamburger. Drain off most of the fat, but keep some to help flavor the soup.
3. When the vegetables have been cooked, drained and returned to the very large pot, add the beef broth, tomato juice, brown sugar, Kitchen Bouquet, hamburger (including the reserved grease), and roast beef. Let soup simmer to enhance the flavors. You can adjust the seasoning at this time.
4. You can also thicken the soup by adding some cornstarch that has been mixed with cold water. Gradually stir in the cornstarch and water, stirring constantly while the soup thickens. *This makes about 60 quarts of soup and can be canned