- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
*2 cup milk, scalded
*1/2 cup sugar
*1/2 cup shortening
*2 pkg. yeast
*7-7 1/2 cups flour
*1 tsp. salt
1. Combine sugar, shortening and salt. Pour hot milk into mixture to melt shortening.
2. Combine yeast with 1/4 cup warm water and set aside.
3. Add 2 cups flour to milk mixture and then beat in the eggs, yeast mixture and 2 cups more flour. Stir in the rest of the flour. Mixture will be a little sticky.
4. Knead for a few minutes and let rise in bowl until doubled, 1-2 hours.
5. Punch down, roll out and cut into three strips. Braid. Let rise another 1-2 hours.
6. Bake at 375° for 15-25 minutes. This makes a wonderful sweet bread.