- 1 of 3 Photos | View More Photos
Stuffed French Toast
*4 large slices, sourdough bread
(remove crust and cube bread)
*1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cut
*1 lg., Granny Smith Apple, peeled
*1 cup milk
*1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
*2-3 tbs. sifted confectioners' sugar
1. Place half the bread cubes in an ungreased 11x7" baking dish. Cover with cream cheese cubes, distributing evenly.
2. Sprinkle with chopped apple (other fruit may be used) and top evenly with remaining bread crumbs.
3. Beat together eggs, milk and cinnamon until well blended; pour over bread mixture in dish. Bake in preheated oven at 375° for 35 minutes or until set.
4. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve with favorite syrup.
Peanut Butter Spread
Served at every Amish church lunch
*4 cups brown sugar
*2 cups boiling water
*1/4 cup light Karo syrup
*2 tsp. Maple flavoring
*2 1/2 pound Peanut Butter
*1 quart Marshmallow Cream
1. Bring to boil: brown sugar, water, Karo syrup & Maple flavoring.
2. Let cool and add peanut butter and marshmallow cream.
(If it gets to stringy, add a small amount of hot water)
3. Serve on bread
Banana Nut Bread
*2 cups flour
*1/2 tsp. baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1/2 cup butter
*1 cup sugar
*3 well-ripened bananas
*1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1. Cream butter and add sugar gradually, mixing as sugar is added. Add eggs, one at a time, beating each one thoroughly. Mash bananas and add.
2. Blend well. Stir in dry ingredients gradually. When well mixed, add nuts.
3. Pour into two 4"x8" greased loaf pans. Bake at 350° about 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand in pans about 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.